Happy New Year!
I've been thinking about resolutions and the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010 and a new decade and the start of a year where anything can happen. I started about a million blog posts in my head, but none of them pleased me.
Then I found this impressive 38 question New Year's survey over at Mocha Momma and decided to give it a go, with a sight tweak to #36. So here goes:
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’ve never done before?
I directed with two cameras. It was an awesome opportunity, and many lessons were learned.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2009 New Year's Resolution was no new debt, and I am sad to report that between the layoff, the move, and the price of Cobra, I slipped in September/October/November. Now I am back on track but I do have some ground to recover.
My other big 2009 goal was to read 12 fiction and 12 non-fiction books, and I did meet that goal, which rocks. (Blog post to come!) It was a big challenge to make it, so I'm going to try for the same in 2010.
My 2010 New Year's Resolution is to finish a solid draft of an novel adaptation I started last year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My last grandparent, my grandma on my father's side, died in November. I didn't tell anyone because I was embarrassed that so many things were going on with me at once. I don't know how close we were in the end, but she was my favorite grandparent.
5. What countries did you visit?
Does Portland count? It felt like another country. ;)
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Halloween weekend my boyfriend and I broke up, and I moved into my own apartment. And so, October 31, 2009 became the worst day and the best day of my year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I directed three spec webisodes for a series called Earth Force 5, that I didn't write and I didn't pay for.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The web series I worked on in 2008, Juanita Saves the World, is still in post and doesn't even have a web site.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?No.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A diet coke in a cup with ice at an airport while my now ex-boyfriend was pressuring me to not get what I wanted, but to instead get a soda in a bottle, which would not have been cold enough and which would have been completely unsatisfying to me.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Republican Party.
14. Where did most of your money go?Rent. Cobra. Food. Debt reduction.
15. What did you get really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
"I Got a Feeling" from The Black Eyed Peas.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:– happier or sadder? Happier. Always happier.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter. I gained 10 pounds in 2009.
– richer or poorer? Poorer. Being laid off will do that to you.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I had a nice, quiet morning in my apartment, and then I went to see Sherlock Holmes at The Vista with some friends. Then we had dinner at their place and played Bonnie and Clyde that they gave me for Christmas, which was so nice! I liked Bonnie and Clyde better than Sherlock Holmes.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
22. What was your favorite TV program?Big Bang Theory.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?Give Me Liberty: A Handbook for American Revolutionaries by Naomi Wolf.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?Michelle Featherstone, via Real George.
26. What did you want and get?
My own apartment. A used Nano.
27. What did you want and not get?
Affordable health insurance. A new tattoo.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For my 38th birthday I went to one of my fav restaurants, Prizzi's, with my boyfriend and a couple good friends, but we suffered super crap service, and I ordered a red zinfandel because I thought my boyfriend would enjoy it more than my favorite, which is Cabernet. And I did really think that I would enjoy the zin, but I didn't, and I was mad at myself for not ordering my favorite wine on my birthday.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Rainbow Heart All Stars.
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Beyonce. The Single Ladies video blew my mind.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?Amy.
36. Who was the last new person you met?Emily.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
When the recipe says "stiff peaks" it really means it. Thanks, Amanda!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm a troublemaker
Never been a faker
Doin' things my own way
And never giving up
I'm a troublemaker
Not a double-taker
I don't have the patience to keep it on the up.
Weezer, baby! Always Weezer.